This Week on the Farm: Week 2

_DSC0578 It feels like time is accelerating.  The days fly by beginning at 5:30 a.m. when the alarm rouses me from my slumber and I stumble into the kitchen to put the kettle on and start making coffee.  Thirty minutes to get ready and out the door for my comute to the farm.  I am so thankful for Michael and his new Vitamix obsession making me a nutritious shake every morning or I probably would not make time to eat a proper breakfast.


7:00 a.m. and the crew gathers in the packing shed for our morning meeting to set the agenda for the day ahead.  We have so much to do!  7:20 a.m. and we hit the fields.  I am assessing every movement we make as a team, which crops are abundant, which are on their way out. We have to push ourselves to accomplish all that we have set out to do.  We have to move quickly and efficiently; I can feel each minute slipping away as the sun moves higher in the sky and the temperature rises, threatening to wilt the greens, or make the roots more difficult to clean.   By 10:00 a.m. the dew has mostly dried and I can begin cutting stems.  I am challenging myself to balance the pressure of production with enjoying the beauty and magic of life that surrounds us.


At noon we brake for lunch.  Each week lunch duty rotates and a member of the crew prepares a meal for the nine of us.  It has been up for debate lately if we should try to make up for time by having a quicker lunch. But, the question arises, why are we growing such great food if we can’t make the time to prepare it and enjoy it together?


After lunch and a second cup of coffee we crank back up again.  As Amber leads the crew in the packing-shed processing the veggies, I return to the field to continue cutting stems.  There are loads of Bells of Ireland, snaps, and statice to cut for Easter weekend. The sunflowers are really rolling now and have to be cut everyday to keep them fresh.


This time of year is always a test with so much to harvest.  Friday evening we found ourselves still cutting stems at 6:00 p.m.  Market bouquets didn’t start until 7:00 p.m.  By 9:30 p.m. it was time to call it a night even though there were still many more flowers to arrange.  I felt slightly defeated, but also confident that Chelsea and Asim would work their magic at market and finish the remaining bouquets in the morning.


I don't mean to complain here.  I love my work and I feel fortunate to have to opportunity to do it.  Even if it can be overwhelming, it is satisfying.  Last week after delivering flowers, the mother of the bride gave me a big hug and expressed her gratitude for our locally grown blooms.  After a long week, little things like that make it worth it.